Data Archiving Checklist
Meet the Authors
⇨ Use SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-Bound) goals
⇨ Network within the company
⇨ Educate stakeholders
Challenges arise with data archiving when systems are too large, when the business can’t access data in a reasonable amount of time, and when the mission is complicated by compliance requirements.
Hands-on experience yields the best roadmap. We spoke to Jason T. Stansberry, Director Client Solutions, PBS Software Americas Inc., to help us assemble a list of considerations when embarking on a data archiving project.
- Use SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-Bound) goals
- Are you targeting a reduction of the ERP system growth by XX% per year?
- Are you reducing the size of your database to accommodate a required upgrade to a new platform (e.g., moving from SAP ECC to S/4HANA)?
- Are you trying to reduce downtime for backups and monthly maintenance by XX hours?
- Are you trying to reduce time to extract audit reports from 1 day to 3 days?
- Are you implementing archiving to comply with a contractual or regulatory change?
- Are you implementing this project to save money?
- Network within the company
When you begin floating the idea of archiving data to department managers, stakeholders start appearing from departments you never knew existed.
- If you’re in a large company, speak to records and information management or the group that defines data retention policies.
- If there’s not one group responsible for defining records management policies, tax and finance is a good place to start.
- Your discovery may lead to discussion with legal, HR, and other functional teams.
- Educate stakeholders
Don’t just tell them about the project charter; bring them to a level of understanding.
What is data archiving?
- How does it work?
- How will users get simple access to archive data?
- How will you improve or enhance their job by implementing this project?
- What are the benefits of doing this?
- Will this bring the company into compliance?